Sweet & Spicy Slow Cooker Sausage
For someone who is really not that interested in football, I’ve watched my fair share of football games. How could I not, when married to a rabid Redskins fan? I probably shouldn’t be telling you this but as a child, the aforementioned Redskins fan used to cry and kick his legs on his bed when they would lose. I’ve seen the man through decades of Redskins heartbreak, as they’d get one new coach or quarterback after another, and everyone would have high hopes. And then they’d lose, again and again. He’s become a little less rabid as time as gone on and they’ve disappointed him year after year. But anytime there is a Redskins/Cowboys or a Redskins/Eagles game, it’s hard to tear him away.
And now I happen to be a mother to a relatively rabid Patriots fan. He’s more into soccer than football, but we lived in Boston for much of his formative years and the Patriots were a rockstar football team. You really couldn’t NOT be a fan during that time. Well, I could manage to not be a fan, but my boy couldn’t. Now that we live on the opposite coast, he still loves his New England Patriots (he’s actually watching it as I write this).
For all that, I really could take it or leave it. I know my football pretty well, I know the rules of play, and I can watch a game and be mildly entertained. But what I really like about football is the food. Soccer, hockey, baseball, all great games but they just don’t have the food culture that football has. From Thanksgiving to the Super Bowl, football has all the other sports beat in terms of the food you munch on while cheering on your team. I love it for the finger food and appetizers. I love wings, I love meatballs, I love BBQ, I love nachos, I love jalapeno poppers…
And I love, love, love these sweet and spicy sausage bites! This recipe serves a crowd, right out of your slow cooker, so it’s perfect for game day. Whether or not you are a football fan, you will be a fan of these.
- 2 lbs kielbasa sausage, cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ cup tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 to 2 tbsp Asian Chili Garlic Sauce (not the sweet chili sauce but the really hot stuff!)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup Swerve, confectioners
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Place the kielbasa in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, Chili Garlic Sauce, Worcestershire, garlic, and Swerve. Pour over the kielbasa and toss a little to coat.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the kielbasa to a serving dish. Briskly whisk the xanthan gum into the sauce that remains in the slow cooker. Once it has thickened, pour over the kielbasa.
- Alternatively, you can return the kielbasa to the slow cooker and serve directly from there.
Makes 12 appetizer size servings.