Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
Author: Carolyn Ketchum
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- ⅓ cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts, washed, trimmed, and cut in half
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel-lined plate and reserve 2 tbsp of the grease in the pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine Swerve and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until mixture darkens to amber, about 5 to 7 minutes, watching carefully so that it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and maple extract.
- Bring pan with reserved bacon grease back to medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green, tender, and browned in spots, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in bacon bits and maple mixture and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings