Recipe type: Desserts
- 1¾ cup of Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 TBS Swerve, granular
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest plus 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 TBS golden raisins or California raisins
- 1 ½ TBS whole wheat panko or bread crumbs
- 7 TBS unsalted butter, melted
- 2 TBS Swerve, confectioners
- 14 whole wheat phyllo sheets, thawed
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In a separate bowl, toss apples, Swerve Granular, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and ⅛ tsp of salt. Cover and microwave for two minutes until apples are warm to touch. Remove from microwave and cover with a towel or lid and set aside.
- Place one sheet of parchment paper on counter with long side parallel to the edge of the counter.
- Place one thawed phyllo sheet on parchment paper with long side parallel to edge of counter.
- Place two TBS of Swerve, confectioners in fine mesh strainer and set aside on bowl
- Lightly brush phyllo sheet with melted butter, and dust sparingly with Swerve confectioners.
- Repeat this process with 6 more phyllo sheets, stacking sheets one on top of another, basting and lightly sprinkling each with Swerve, confectioners.
- Set a colander/strainer in a bowl, transfer covered apples to colander. The bowl will catch all the apple juices (keep those because you will baste the strudel with it at the end)
- Arrange half of apple mixture in a 2½ by 10 inch line. Beginning two inches from the edge of the phyllo sheets nearest to the countertop, and leaving two inches on each side free to fold the phyllo sheets.
- Fold sides of phyllo over filling, and brush folded sides with some of the apple juices. Next, fold the bottom of the phyllo sheets over the apple filling, to where it overlaps and sticks to the side folds. Brush more apple juices onto the bottom fold, and fold over the top of the phyllo sheets, make sure there is a seam on the side. Brush apple juices on the seam to insure phyllo is together tightly.
- Place strudel on buttered cookie sheet or lipped pan.
- Set aside, and follow same steps to create a second strudel.
- Brush strudels with leftover melted butter
- Place in oven on the upper middle rack, and bake for 27 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- With a thin spatula transfer strudel to cutting board, or you can let rest on your cookie sheet. Wait three minutes and then slice strudel with a sharp knife into 8 pieces (filling will try to come out so gently push it back in as you apply pressure when cutting).
- Let cool for 20 minutes, and serve warm or at room temperature
- Note: If you want the strudel crust to be shiny, with five minutes left to bake, take strudel out of the oven, and baste a mixed egg on to each, and cook for the remaining 5 minutes.
Serving Size 1 (32g)
Servings Per Container 36
Amount Per Serving
Calories 80 Calories from Fat 22.5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Sodium 85mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 15g 5%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 2g 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.