Get the Skinny on Grilling
Tailgate season is here! And no proper tailgate is complete without firing up the grill. But what you put on the grill can make a big difference for your health. With a few simple substitutions you can trim the calories and saturated fat you put in your body.
Highlights from this episode:
- Swap your pork sausage for chicken sausage.
- How you can easily add vegetables and fruit to your tailgate lineup
- How marinades and leaner meats can reduce your risk of cancer
DIY Lemonade & Sports Drinks
Nothing helps you get through the summer heat like a tall glass of lemonade. But lemonade is packed with sugar and drinking too many glasses can load you up with calories, which isn’t good if you are trying to lose or maintain your weight.
Sports-drinks like Gatorade and Powerade aren’t much better. We don’t know about you, but the last thing we want to do after a strenuous workout is to fill-up our body with empty, sugary calories by drinking a sports-drink.
Fortunately, Molly Kimball from Get the Skinny with Molly on WGNO ABC26 recently used Swerve to whip up recipes for sugar-free lemonade, sugar-free Arnold Palmer, and a sugar-free Swerve Sports Drink.
When it is 100+ degrees outside those popsicles in your neighborhood grocery store look extremely appetizing. But they are loaded with sugars, artificial sweeteners, and provide little nutritional value. Meltdown recently furnished WGNO ABC26’s Get the Skinny with a recipe for a 50-calorie popsicle. You can watch the video and get the recipe here.
PINEAPPLE-CILANTRO ICE POPS
- 50 calories
- 0 grams of fat
- 80% daily value of vitamin C in each ice pop
- Cilantro has an antibacterial effect and potentially an anti-inflammatory effect.
Check out the sugar and calorie savings on these awesome cocktails once they were “Swerved”:
- Regular Version: 200 calories and 16 grams of sugar
- Swerve Version: 140 calories and 1 gram of sugar
- Regular Version: 350 calories and 35 grams of sugar
- Swerve Version: 130 calories and 5 gram of sugar
- Regular Version: 280 calories and 25 grams of sugar
- Swerve Version: 130 calories and 13 gram of sugar
- Regular Version: 285 calories and 39 grams of sugar
- Swerve Version: 135 calories and <1 gram of sugar
Don’t forget to check out WGNO’s “Get the Skinny” page for fun ways to feel great and look great!