Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish
I’ve been waiting to make this recipe for a long time. Ever since I discovered this crazy low carb, grain-free dough made with mozzarella cheese. It’s quite revolutionary and has opened up a whole new world of healthy baking for me. If you are not familiar with it but are trying to eat a healthier diet, it’s time to get familiar with it. You will be delighted, I promise you.
So here’s the deal. This dough really is based on mozzarella cheese and it makes for the best low carb pastry. The cheese acts like the gluten in conventional pastry, providing an elasticity that you simply can’t get with grain-free on their own. But one of the tricks is to not use the fresh mozzarella or the big blocks that you can grate yourself. You really want the pre-grated kind, preferably part-skim, because it has a little starch in it to keep it from clumping. This really helps the consistency of the dough. It doesn’t have to be really junky cheese though. I’ve used organic brands from both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods and they work just as well.
You also need to make sure you are using truly fine almond flour and not the coarser almond meal. Coarsely ground almonds simply don’t integrate into the dough properly and you end up with a crumbly consistency that won’t roll out properly. I recommend either Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour (make sure it’s this one and not their almond meal) or Honeyville.
With a little powdered Swerve, this bizarre sounding concoction really does make a wonderful sweet dough for your favorite pastries. It’s both chewy and crisp, and it turns a lovely golden brown. I’ve made it with chocolate and I’ve made it with cinnamon. Now I’ve filled gone ahead and filled it with cream cheese and blueberries for a danish-style pastry. So good with a cup of coffee in the morning!
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup whipping cream, room temperature
- 2 tbsp Swerve, Confectioners
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp Swerve, Granular
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking mat with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, and baking powder. In a large saucepan, melt cheese and butter over low heat until it can be stirred together.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Stir in almond flour mixture until dough comes together (keep heat on low). It will still have some large streaks of cheese. Turn out dough onto a silicone mat or directly onto a kitchen counter and knead until uniform (this only takes a little kneading).
- Cover with parchment paper and roll out to about a 14×8 inch rectangle. On the diagonal, cut 1 inch wide, 1 ½ inch long stips along both sides, leaving a solid rectangle of dough in the center.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, cream, sweetener, and lemon zest until well combined. Spread down the center of the dough, leaving about ½ inch all around. Sprinkle with blueberries.
- Fold the strips of dough over the filling so that the ends overlap. Pinch the dough at the ends to seal.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds and granulated sweetener and press gently to adhere.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until pastry is golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove and let cool completely, then slice into strips to serve.