Key lime pie is such an American classic dessert. But those key limes, they are tiny little things. Cute, to be sure, but tiny and with more seeds than conventional limes. So it takes a lot more elbow grease to get enough key lime juice to make anything with. Whatever you make has to be worth the effort.I used almost a whole bag of them to make this delicious low carb pound cake and thankfully, it was worth all that squeezing! But you know, if you really needed to, you could totally fake this with some regular lime juice and lime zest. I won’t tell anyone…
Pound cake is another classic American dessert, and one that takes a pound of a whole bunch of things I no longer eat. A pound of butter and a pound of eggs I could handle but the pound of flour and a pound of sugar? Um, no thanks. So I admit to faking that part of the recipe. I didn’t use a pound of anything, really. Because almond flour is so heavy and full of its own natural oils, adding a pound of butter or eggs to it would result in a gloppy mess of a cake.
But it looks like pound cake and it tastes like key limes. So it’s key lime pound cake as far as I am concerned. A happy, healthier pound cake that won’t pack on the pounds. Now that’s the sort of American classic dessert that suit me!
- 3½ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup Swerve, Granular
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup key lime juice
- 2 tsp key lime zest
- 3 tbsp Swerve, Confectioners
- 2 to 3 tsp key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan very well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and Swerve together until lightened and fluffy. Beat in the eggs until well combined, then beat in half of the almond flour mixture. Beat in the almond milk, lime juice and lime zest, then beat in the remaining almond flour mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and the top is firm to the touch. Remove and let cool in the pan 15 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk the confectioners Swerve and lime juice together until smooth (should be somewhat runny). Drizzle over the cooled cake.
Makes 16 servings